Let's stop the flames on USENET

Jordan Henderson jordan@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM
Fri, 23 May 1997 16:41:37 -0500 (CDT)

> Dear LispOS project members,
>    quite a few of us have been involved in the flame war that
> rages in comp.lang.* about C++. I feel we've only been losing
> our precious time for people that do not deserve it.
> The only argument that this people understand is the immediate
> smell of big bucks. And the best thing we can do to provide such an
> argument is to have something like LispOS succeed.

I whole heartedly agree that we should not involve ourselves in the
on-going flame war.  However, I don't feel the Lisp antaganists are,
for the most part, motivated by anything but good will.

Some of their criticisms are valid from the perspective that nobody
has shown them a good, portable, efficient implementation of Lisp
that meets the requirements of their problem domains.  Many of these
people have been involved in OS design, or supporting groups that do
OS internals and other low level coding.  That is what
we are here for.  We need to extend Lisp into the problem domain of
Operating Systems internals in order for Lisp to be taken more
seriously.

This work cannot be accomplished by slinging insults at Bjarne Strostroup.

-Jordan Henderson
jordan@neosoft.com