LispOS and me

Fare Rideau rideau@ens.fr
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 12:47:36 +0100 (MET)

>: MLR mlrilee@erols.com
>
> 1. What is abstraction inversion?

I took the term from one of Henry Baker's excellent papers
ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/hb/hbaker/CritLisp.html

An abstraction inversion is the phenomenon that happens when
"a simpler notion is defined in terms of more complex notions".
The cost of abstraction inversion is paid by high-overhead in implementation,
difficulty in semantic analysis and proofs, mismatch of development tools,
general bloat, complexity and unsafety, etc.

-- #f

PS: a ridiculous example comes to my mind: instead of having people
trying to build a free LISP environment on top of Linux/Win32,
imagine people trying to build a Wintel PC emulator in LISP...