MIT Express project

Matthias Hoelzl tc tc@gauss.muc.de
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 02:29:45 +0100

I don't know whether this has been mentioned here before:

<http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/express/>

>From their web page:

The Express project

The Express project's goals are to:

* Explore the interaction between advanced programming languages,
  operating systems, and compilers.

* Develop the software technology to make advanced programming languages
  practical, useful tools for systems programming.

To this end, we intend to develop an OS kernel and programming
environment that will both support and exploit advanced language
implementations.

We are currently developing an experimental kernel constructed by
porting the SML/NJ implementation of Standard ML to run on a bare
PC. We use the University of Utah's OS Kit library for the low-level
machine management.

This project was started by Olin Shivers who isn't exactly unknown
in the Lisp community.

  Matthias