Make LispM code FREE (fwd)

eric dahlman dahlman@cs.colostate.edu
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 12:08:00 -0700 (MST)

Gavin E. Gleason writes:
 [Snipped lots of stuff]
 > <monolog>
 > 	It seems to me in a world of GUI, that one of the best things
 > that could further the LispOS ideals would be to develop a free CLIM.
 > This would alow us to start developing applications that people would
 > actually use.  A CL Emacs writen with a CLIM interface for instance
 > (Idea shamelessly borrowed off of #:Erik Naggum), would be far more
 > usefull and flexible then XEmacs, and with a elisp compatibility
 > package could server to produce a "real" development environment for
 > CL.
 > 	So how come there is so little interest in free CLIM???

This is one of the things that I think would be very important for
everyone involved with Lisp and this project.  Actually after there
was a free CLIM we would already have taken a major step toward a
lispOS as far as the user is concerned.  For instance all of the talk
about making a lisp shell would then be rendered moot for all intents
and purposes, just use a dynamic listener.  There have been a few
people mentioning that they are implementing their own version of
CLIM what is the status of these projects?  Has someone finished a
Silica clone?  Started one?

Just wondering,
-Eric