Make LispM code FREE (fwd)

Mike McDonald mikemac@teleport.com
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 11:59:07 -0800 (PST)

> > 	So how come there is so little interest in free CLIM???

  Because most people don't know what they're missing!

>This is one of the things that I think would be very important for
>everyone involved with Lisp and this project.  Actually after there
>was a free CLIM we would already have taken a major step toward a
>lispOS as far as the user is concerned.  For instance all of the talk
>about making a lisp shell would then be rendered moot for all intents
>and purposes, just use a dynamic listener.

  Most definitely!

> There have been a few
>people mentioning that they are implementing their own version of
>CLIM what is the status of these projects?  Has someone finished a
>Silica clone?  Started one?
>
>Just wondering,
>-Eric

  Well, the CLIM spec doesn't require Silica and since I couldn't find
any docs on it, I'm not implementing one. I'm implementing what's in
the spec. As for status, it's coming along once again. (I was diverted
for a few months by a pretty young lady!) I have the basic panes
(composite-pane, vbox, hbox, ...) implemented and with frames, frame
managers, ports, grafts, mediums, sheets, events, and regions. I
haven't implemented graphics (next), command tables, or presentation
types yet. I'm hoping to have enough done in a couple of weeks for
release 0.1 of it. (Better make that 0.0001!) Presentations and widget
will probably be left for last. My goal is to be able to get a simple
listener up so people can start writing commands.

  If you think you might be interested in helping test it, I suggest
you get a hold of the spec and start reading it, particularly the
parts on presentation types and commands. Then people can start
writing all of those useful commands like :Show Directory! And :Show
File! And :Load System! And ...

  Mike McDonald
  mikemac@mikemac.com