Make LispM code FREE (fwd)

The Weasel weasel@cs.stanford.edu
Wed, 01 Apr 1998 16:10:17 -0800

At 01:45 PM 4/1/98 , William A. Barnett-Lewis wrote:
>P. T. Withington wrote:
>(CHOMP)

[ .. Deletia .. ]

>> The big
>> hit on performance was emulating a 40-bit word on a 32-bit machine.
>> Alpha makes that easier, being a 64-bit machine.

>Ah. The word size differences; that makes somewhat more sense. Would
>this allevied by the P2 and PPC being 64 bit internally?

The PII does not expose 64 bit #'s, and I don't think that any of the
common PowerPC's have 64 bit stuff exposed (it has been a while since i
looked).

>They would
>still be choked by the bus width, but it shouldn't be as big a hit as
>emulating 40 bits in 32.

I think that their buses, however, are wider so that they can do bursting
easier.

\p
--
The game of life is not so much in holding a good hand
as in playing a poor hand well. -- H. T. Leslie