Make LispM code FREE (fwd)

Scott L. Burson gyro@zeta-soft.com
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 15:49:47 -0700 (PDT)

   From: "Peter Housel" <housel@acm.org>
   Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 14:05:04 -0800

   If the sources are released, they would be for the CONS architecture version
   of the MIT Lisp Machine, wouldn't they?

You mean the CADR.  This version of the system was also used on the LMI
Lambda, and the TI Explorer system diverged from it only slightly.

The CONS was only a prototype.  Its hardware was recycled to make CADR-1.

   If I recall correctly, the CONS architecture had fewer tag bits (four) than
   the Ivory.  This would likely make emulation on a 32-bit machine a bit
   easier.

The CADR, Lambda, and Explorer were all 32-bit machines.  One could build a
hardware emulator for them on a 32-bit RISC machine without horrendous
difficulty.  Might be an interesting exercise, although if the Open Genera
source (or even binary) becomes freely available, I'd just use that; used,
if slightly obsolete, Alphas are not too expensive these days.

   Did the CADR have locatives?

Yes.

-- Scott