Minimum set of primitives?

Kragen kragen@pobox.com
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:36:27 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Christian Lynbech on satellite wrote:

> Kragen> I'm afraid I don't know what the Fluke kit is.  Is this a FAQ?
>
> Some have argued here (again from memory) that starting with something
> like Linux would inevitably mean that we inherit many of the bad
> things from UNIX, such as the filesystem

That's kind of silly.  Linux lets you access block devices directly if
you want without any filesystem at all.  What more could you want?

Well, I guess you might have to have a small filesystem to boot from,
but the rest of the disk can be objects all the way.

> or the all powerfull root user.

Java-style security, with unforgeable capabilities, should be plenty, I
think.  There really isn't any way we can map that onto any set of Unix
users, so we shouldn't even try.  Just run the LispVM as root, or
better yet, as part of the kernel.

Kragen