Benevolent Dictatorship

Harvey J. Stein hjstein@bfr.co.il
20 Mar 1998 20:20:11 +0300

hjstein@bfr.co.il (Harvey J. Stein) writes:

> Linus himself originally said that it wasn't portable.  But, then some
> DEC guys started doing the alpha port, and had it runing on DEC alphas
> in a surprisingly short amount of time.  It turned out that the
> machine dependencies weren't so hard to isolate and fix.

I know I'm talking to myself, but to substantiate my claims, I wanted
to list current linux ports (from
http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/devel.html):

Hardware Ports
          ARM Linux
          Linux/MIPS
          DEC Alpha (AXP)
          Linux/m68k (Atari and Amiga), Linux/m68k for Apple Macintosh, and Linux NeXT Cubes
          Linux/VME (m68k based MVME162/166/167 boards) and a MVME147 version
          ELKS Project (i8086 - i80286)
          LinuxPPC (PowerPC), Linux/PowerMac (Monolithic Linux for Apple PowerMacs) as well as
          LinuxPPC for Motorola PowerStack and IBM PPC
          Linux/AP+ (Fujitsu AP1000+)
          MkLinux for PowerMac (Micro Kernel Linux)
          Linux MCA Homepage (Micro Channel bus)
          SPARC/Linux
          Linux/sun3
          VAXlinux
          HP PA-RISC
          L4Linux
          Linux/SGI
          VMELinux, Linux for VMEbus embedded systems.

Of course, lots of these are in their prenatal state, but alot of them
also boot & run applications.  There's even a port to the PalmPilot!
(see http://ryeham.ee.ryerson.ca/uClinux/).

--
Harvey J. Stein
Berger Financial Research