Benevolent Dictatorship

Rodrigo Ventura yoda@isr.ist.utl.pt
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 17:41:00 +0100 (GMT+0100)

    >> My opinion fall down alot when I tried a trivial factorial
    >> function, and observed CMUCL core dumping! How can a factorial
    >> function core-dump the CL system with large integers???

    Rainer> I don't know. If that happens, this looks like a bug to me.
    Rainer> How did the CMUCL maintainers reacted to your bug report?

        Hum, I guess I considered myself humble enought to do not dare
pointing a bug in the claimed "best CL system". I probably did
something wrong. But as I was evaluating several CL systems, I simply
passed on to the next one.

    >> And when I
    >> tried a agent society simulation I developed using CLISP, it kept on
    >> GC'ing continuously, and ended-up going nowhere.

    Rainer> The trick to make CMU CL useable is to increase the heap and make
    Rainer> GC occur less often. Applications will need more space but will
    Rainer> GC less frequent. Adding a generational/ephemeral GC
    Rainer> would get rid of this. Improve CMU CL!

        Increase the heap size???? Well, when I did a "ps ux" I
noticed that CMUCL was using about 22MB of virtual memory! 22MB!!!
There were times when a PC with 10MB hard drive was a luxury! The
CMUCL system is far from 22MB, so why so much waste space (yeah, I
know, Linux do not actually allocates thatg space on swap space, but
rather marks its use until needed).

        Regards,

*** Rodrigo Martins de Matos Ventura, alias <Yoda>
***  yoda@isr.ist.utl.pt, http://www.isr.ist.utl.pt/~yoda
***   Instituto de Sistemas e Robotica, Polo de Lisboa
***    Instituto Superior Tecnico, Lisboa, Portugal
***     PGP Public Key available on my homepage
*** Key fingerprint = 0C 0A 25 58 46 CF 14 99  CF 9C AF 9E 10 02 BB 2A