Why LispOS?

Chris Bitmead chrisb@Ans.Com.Au
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 23:14:24 +0000

Rodrigo Ventura wrote:
>     Chris> I guess the point is, why are you so concerned about accessing
>     Chris> UNIX devices?
>
>         That is the same to ask "why do you want to access the
> filesystem" or "why do you want to allocate memory" or "why do you
> want to know the exact position of the mouse" or "why do you want to
> print a file to a printer" or "why do you want to display graphics"
> and so on and so on. In few words: it's the very reason of existence
> of computers -- to access the exterior. One cannot compute in a vacuum!

I consider accessing UNIX character based files and devices as
the moral equivilent of you programming in Xlib compared to
Motif. Yeah, it does the job, but it is a very very low level API
to have to muck around using, it's slow,complicated and prone to
errors to have to code. To continue the Xlib/Motif analogy, to
write something in Xlib takes millions of lines of code that
would take 100 lines with Motif.

--
Chris Bitmead
http://www.ans.com.au/~chrisb