Why LispOS?

Rainer Joswig joswig@lavielle.com
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 00:20:34 +0100

At 17:44 25.03.98 -0500, Kragen wrote:
>On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Christopher J. Vogt wrote:
>> I consider most of my use of UNIX as a nightmare, and as such I have attempted
>> to not remember much of what happened then.  However, I do remember booting
>> quite requently, and further I remember lots of programs dumping core.
>
>Unix has improved somewhat.  Most Unix machines will happily run for a
>week or two without rebooting; Linux machines will happily run for a
>year or two without rebooting.

Camille is my personal MacIvory development machine:

Symbolics System, FEP0:>cl-http-world.ilod.1
MacIvory model 3 Processor, 7.9M words Physical memory, 63.5M words Swapping space.
 Genera  8.3
Lavielle CAMILLE

Type c-_ H for Help.
Type Set Remote Terminal Options to set the terminal type.
Warning:  CAMILLE is a server machine.  Please exercise caution.

Command: (neti:uptime)
Host Name                Time up
CAMILLE                  15 weeks 2 days 10 hours 3 minutes 30 seconds
DF                       2 weeks 1 day 12 hours 41 minutes 55 seconds
TLE                      5 weeks 1 day 11 hours 16 minutes 46 seconds

---

The host machine ( a Mac ) has been rebooted atleast 10 times in between.
The Lisp Machine card will stay up. You just reconnect the Genera
Macintosh application after you booted the Mac to the still running
MacIvory.