Why LispOS?

Rodrigo Ventura yoda@isr.ist.utl.pt
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 14:44:08 +0100 (GMT+0100)

    >> At 12:06 Uhr +0100 27.03.1998, Rodrigo Ventura wrote:
    >>
    >>> I hope you are not proposing us to use the Windows kernel
    >>> instead of a UNIX one...
    >>
    >> Some people want a Lisp OS because Unix sucks as much as Windows.
    >>

    Damond>     Yes and no....but I still think that we can hide most of the cruft under
    Damond> LispOs such that you won't know if your running the thing on
    Damond> FreeBSD/Linux/WinNT...  Well, you may be able to guess but it won't matter
    Damond> much I hope.

        Yeah. That would be great. If LispOS is based on a VM, then
the task gets easier (I hope). If tcl/tk, python and java are
cross-platform (even with GUI's), then LispOS should also be. The only
drawback is speed.

        The question is: is it still worthy a fairly complete LispOS
system ontop a virtual machine? Is it fast enought?

        How complicated is to implement a JIT virtual machine for
LispOS?

        Regards,

*** Rodrigo Martins de Matos Ventura, alias <Yoda>
***  yoda@isr.ist.utl.pt, http://www.isr.ist.utl.pt/~yoda
***   Instituto de Sistemas e Robotica, Polo de Lisboa
***    Instituto Superior Tecnico, Lisboa, Portugal
***     PGP Public Key available on my homepage
*** Key fingerprint = 0C 0A 25 58 46 CF 14 99  CF 9C AF 9E 10 02 BB 2A