Why LispOS?

Martin Rodgers mcr@wildcard.demon.co.uk
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 19:17:16 +0000

At 13:22 27/03/98 +0100, Rainer Joswig <joswig@lavielle.com>
wrote:

>Some people want a Lisp OS because Unix sucks as much as Windows.
>
> (more oil in the fire. ;-) )

Then let me add some napalm. ;-)

"An operating system is a collection of things that don't fit into a language.
 There shouldn't be one."
  'Design Principles Behind Smalltalk', Daniel Ingalls, Byte August 1981

Wise words, IMHO. 16+ years later, I still agree with him.

It's been 16 years of enforced compromise, but at least it gives me the
"moral high ground" in OS wars. ;) This is mainly coz most OS advocates
ignore users, and I make a distinction between software for my personal
use (which I can choose), and software for professional use (which I
cannot choose). As I said, enforced compromise.

At last I'm finally beginning to build my dream machine. The 8 GB hard
drive arrived yesterday, so I'm nearly there. ;)

Martin Rodgers
Enrapture Limited
London, England
--