LISPOS: My manifesto

Harvey J. Stein hjstein@bfr.co.il
30 Mar 1998 18:17:46 +0300

"Arthur A. Gleckler" <arthur@martigny.ai.mit.edu> writes:

> At 10:40 AM 3/28/98 -0500, Dave Mason wrote:
>
> >Things I wish other people would do:
> >
> >1) a cleaner, leaner, XEmacs, in Scheme using RScheme's objects;
>
> Take a look at MIT Scheme's Edwin editor.  It is a very accurate clone of
> GNU Emacs, developed just a few offices away from Stallman's office at MIT.
> It is written entirely in Scheme, except for a few primitives written in C,
> and has a much nicer, functional (in the technical sense) programming
> interface than Emacs.  It is free -- not GPLed, but under a very
> nonrestrictive license.  The major thing it lacks that GNU Emacs has is a
> huge library of packages.  At one point, there was even a graduate student
> working on automatic translation of Emacs Lisp to Scheme for Edwin.
>
> Edwin would make an excellent starting point for such a project.

The Guile project was supposed to include translators from common
languages, most notably elisp, to scheme.  I don't know if they've
gotten anywhere with that aspect, but if they have then maybe it could
be used.

BTW, regardless of whether the substrate is rscheme or cmucl, it'd be
really cool to have both Scheme and Common Lisp support.  Whichever's
the substrate, we should have a reasonable implementation of the other
language (not to mention elisp too).

Then we can leverage off of Scheme, Common Lisp & elisp archives.

--
Harvey J. Stein
Berger Financial Research