License for Code?

Damond Walker moribund@netgsi.com
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 19:19:48 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, cosc19z5@bayou.uh.edu wrote:

> To guarantee that everyone is on GPL who works on this
> project, how about setting up the archive to display
> a text screen to state something to the effect of code
> being uploaded there is automatically GPL'ed and
> uploading is constituted as an agreement.

	What's a license among friends?  :)
	I had hoped that it would already of been assumed that we would be
using somekind of GPL like license for any code contributed to the cause.

> I don't particularly care what license we follow as
> long as it allows for free development and distrubution
> and prevents code from being "appropriated" by commercial
> entities who then slap their own license on the code itself.
> I believe that GPL did that, right?  Hell, I can read the
> document again for myself :)

	Doesn't the GPL cover situations like that?  They can do whatever
they want with it as long as they distribute the source they use (in one
fashion or the other).

			Damo