Existencial problems on LispOS

Christian Lynbech on satellite lynbech@daimi.aau.dk
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 06:09:36 +0200 (CEST)

My view is rather optimistic, though I do think we have a long road
ahead.

Like all volunteer projects, also lispos will have only slow progress,
but to me this is ok. I do not want or expect to take over the world.

There is no chance that we, at this early state, will be able to focus
our efforts on one single common goal. People have wildly divergent
views on everything from what is interesting to what the goal should
be. However, given the number of lines of code written so far, this is
not really a problem :-)

I see as the shorter term future of the lispos project that a number
of subprojects will start up, each focusing on some different aspect
or using a different technology. This will be good. We will have a
number of minilabs each testing out ideas and strategies.

Then at some later time, it will be clearer where we are going, not
from a detailed design specification, but from the golden principle of
"rough consensus and working code".

We ain't dead yet. Give it some time. I see evidence in the
discussions that people are preparing themselves to get some work
done.

Christian Lynbech          | Telebit Communications A/S
Phone: +45 8628 8176       | email: chl@tbit.dk --- URL: http://www.tbit.dk
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)