License for Code?

Kragen kragen@pobox.com
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 07:04:57 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Damond Walker wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Dave Mason wrote:
> > I've not decided finally, but I will likely use the BSD license form
> > or the RScheme one.
>
> 	I'm familiar with the GPL, how does the BSD license differ?

The GPL prohibits imposing additional licensing conditions upon people
you redistribute the GPLed code to.  It also prohibits linking GPLed
code with code under restrictions not in the GPL.

So, for example, Mozilla will not be able to incorporate any GPLed
code, because Mozilla is under some restrictions not in the GPL.

The BSD license basically says, "Do what you like, but give us credit,
and don't advertise with our names."

You could look at http://gentle.dyn.ml.org/~kragen/licences.html, but
I'm sure someone has done a better job somewhere else.

Kragen