LispOS on a 68000

Greg Menke menkesjg@erols.com
Thu, 14 May 1998 21:20:27 -0400

I hate to insert the evil "I", but there are some high integration x86
cpus, which makes homebrewing lots easier.  Onboard serial, digital I/O,
interrupt hardware and address decoding- that sort of thing.  AMD makes
some nice, fast 186/386 variants as well.  Somewhat farther afield,
Siemens/Dallas/Philips make some FAST 8051 variants- pretty slim on the
memory side, and no MMU, but circuit-wise they're simple and have lots
of free tools and code available.

Super-capable machines are great, but its satisfying to roll your own
dumpy little rig, load it up yourself and see it run-  even if it can't
do the really big jobs.

Gregm