LispOS on a 68000

Chris Hanson cmh@greendragon.com
Fri, 15 May 1998 20:41:48 -0500

At 8:20 PM -0500 5/14/98, Greg Menke wrote:
>I hate to insert the evil "I", but there are some high integration x86
>cpus, which makes homebrewing lots easier.  Onboard serial, digital I/O,
>interrupt hardware and address decoding- that sort of thing.

There's also a very high integration ARM design.  (710?  740?  Something
like that.)   Within the last year, Circuit Cellar INK -- great magazine,
by the way -- had a two-part article on designing with it.  Not only does
it have all of the above, but I believe it has DRAM control, PC keyboard &
mouse support, and SVGA video support *on-chip* as well.  NetBSD has been
ported to the design, which may have been an ARM evaluation board.  In
fact, vendor evaluation boards might be another interesting way to go.

Otherwise, I think one of the public 030 designs with ISA slots would be
cool.  Just pick one video board and one SCSI board, and use standard PC
controller boards for floppy/parallel/serial/mouse/etc.  At that point,
drivers become pretty "easy."

I believe the public 030 design I've seen comes from Indiana, but I could
be way off-base on that.  In any case, it seemed an intellectual descendant
of the PT-68K board presented during 1987 and 1988 in Radio-Electronics...

I also really like the 68000 series of CPUs.  It's the pinnacle of CISC
instruction set design, though there are probably DEC-10 people who will
disagree with me. :)

(Hmm.  I wonder how hard it would be to modify one of the boards to take a
68060.  Or if the available Amiga 060 upgrades plug in to the 020/030 CPU
socket..)