LISP shell

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 13:05:23 +0100

Uh, sorry to mingle in the conversation,
but I know at least one person who used to use GNU emacs as a login shell,
which is seemingly possible (you'd like it added to /etc/shells to not be
considered a "restricted user", tho):
elisp is no worse than /bin/sh (or perl, as I've seen some people use!)
to setup environment variables!

You'll perhaps prefer sh, however, and start emacs from there,
for stability wrt emacs "upgrades"
(see incompatibilities between GNU/X Emacs 18/19/20/21).
Note: I haven't ever tried starting X from emacs. Might be "interesting".
Personally, I use zsh (perhaps started from sh).

As for a Scheme that has full system access, and more (see SCWM),
you might be interested in GUILE.
But again, stability issues will make you prefer launching it from *sh.

Regards,

## Faré | VN: Уng-Vû Bân   | Join the TUNES project!  http://www.tunes.org/ ##
## FR: François-René Rideau |    TUNES is a Useful, Not Expedient System     ##
## Reflection&Cybernethics  | Project for a Free Reflective Computing System ##
Demand the establishment of the government
in its rightful home at Disneyland.