Hardware references.

Ray Dillinger bear@sonic.net
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 13:49:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, John Morrison wrote:

>to help jumpstart the stalled JOS effort.  I have assembled a (mostly
>C++ with a smattering of assembly) free cross-development toolchain and
>used it to successfully build and download a native-code runtime which
>does the obvious things (e.g., puts the [expletive deleted] Intel part
>in flat 32-bit protected mode, probes memory, catches interrupts, etc.),

I would actually be very interested in seeing whatever
references you used to figure out how to do that trick.  It
seems like all the assembly-language stuff I can find is
preoccupied with how to interact with existing operating
systems, and precious little has any real information about how
to interact with the bare hardware itself.

I'm elbows-deep in my compiler project, and I want to be able to
spit out kernel-mode executables and drivers from it... which
involves interacting with bare hardware.

I've already figured out that I will have to use a completely
different file format for DLL's (including device drivers)...
a dynamic typing system involves a completely different set of
assumptions than those embodied in existing DLL formats.

				Ray