OS design...

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 01:52:12 +0200

On Sat, Oct 17, 1998 at 11:32:32AM -0400, Kragen wrote:
>> In TUNES, we intend to push metaprogramming techniques
>> as a way to achieve efficiency at runtime.
> What are those?
Well, dynamic compilation and decompilation, continuous profiling,
interface extraction, automatic code generation, run-time scale adaptation,
program state reification for orthogonal persistence or process migration,
you name it, etc, etc.

>> And even [GC] should be modular!
>> Some people need real-time GC, but it costs a lot,
>> and most people would rather not.
>
> I've been wondering about this lately.  How much does it actually
> cost?  Where can I find online references on it?

I suggest you go to the gclist mailing-list and its GC FAQ. The home page is:
	http://www.iecc.com/gclist/
To join the list, send "subscribe gclist" to majordomo@iecc.com.
(sayz the comp.compilers FAQ). I could find no archive, however.

> Nearly every application is, in a sense, real-time.
Yeah. "Termination is an engineering problem;
Computer Science can only guarantee correctness"

> BTW, have you read Alan Cox's recent article on Slashdot about the
> "Town Council Effect"?
No: heard about it, but "Document contains no data"
	http://www.slashdot.org/features/98/10/13/1423253.shtml

> IMHO, LispOSes in general are suffering from
> this problem --- perhaps TUNES is an exception?  (I hope?)
I hope not, but it still suffers from lots of other problems
(one of which being my personal internal scheduler being real crap).

## Faré | VN: Уng-Vû Bân   | Join the TUNES project!  http://www.tunes.org/ ##
## FR: François-René Rideau |    TUNES is a Useful, Not Expedient System     ##
## Reflection&Cybernethics  | Project for a Free Reflective Computing System ##
The [classical] liberal, of course, does not deny that there are
some superior people - he is not an egalitarian - but he denies
that anyone has authority to decide who these superior people are.
		-- F. A. Hayek, "Why I Am Not a Conservative"