Scheme compilers

Dwight Hughes dwighth@ipa.net
Wed, 09 Sep 1998 23:07:35 -0500

James,

It might be worthwhile to take a look at Sting - an OS based on T (a
Scheme with some Lispy features developed at Yale a bit back - has a
reasonable optimizing compiler: to native code) -- full source is
available to download (LARGE: about 16-20MB zipped IIRC - the compiler
in Sting is targeted to MIPS processors I believe). You can also get the
source for T and its compiler for several processors/systems (most a bit
dated, but you should be able to find something to run it on at a
university - well enough to retarget it toward something a bit more
modern (there was a 68020 Mac version even)). Sting was in development
to fairly recently (1996?):

http://www.neci.nj.nec.com/PLS/sting.html

To get your interest up, this is their description:

"Sting is an experimental operating system designed to serve as an
efficient customizable substrate for modern programming languages. The
base language used in our current implementation is Scheme, but Sting's
core ideas could be incorporated into any reasonable high-level
language. The ultimate goal in this project is to build a unified
programming environment for parallel and distributed computing. To this
end, Sting provides mechanisms for:

creating extremely lightweight first-class asynchronous threads of
control,
building customized scheduling, migration, and load-balancing protocols,
specifying first-class virtual processors and virtual topologies,
supporting a range of execution strategies from fully eager to
completely lazy evaluation,
experimenting with diverse storage allocation policies, and
implementing persistent multiple address spaces, and other features of a
modern micro-kernel
software architecture such as non-blocking I/O, and user-level exception
handling."

-- Dwight