Scheme compilers

Kragen kragen@pobox.com
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:09:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Mark Dulcey wrote:
> Most LMI CADRs and Lambdas were sold with complete source code (all the
> way down to the microcode!). If you can find one that is still in working
> condition, it will probably have the source.

If you can find one in working condition, I'm sure there are computer
museums that would love to have it.  In fact, I'm sure there are
computer museums that would love to have a broken one.

How reparable are they?  I had a (much cheaper) machine of the same
vintage that had only a couple of common failure modes (the keyboard
encoder getting zapped with static, and a power-supply transistor
shorting out and smoking some power-supply resistors), both of which
could be fixed with a simple replacement of a couple of parts costing
less than $10.

I know the LispMs all used lots of custom chips.  Did the custom chips
die often?

(I know, "often" doesn't mean much in the computer world, where the
MTBF for most non-mechanical hardware is 10-20 years.  But surely there
are people here who worked with 10-20 CADRs for more than a year.)

Kragen

I don't do .INI, .BAT, .DLL or .SYS files. I don't assign apps to files. I
don't configure peripherals or networks before using them. I have a computer
to do all that. I have a Macintosh, not a hobby. -- Fritz Anderson