Scheme compilers

mikemac@teleport.com mikemac@teleport.com
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 09:19:53 -0700 (PDT)

>From reti@RIVERSIDE.SCRC.Symbolics.COM Fri Sep 11 12:27:21 1998
>Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 08:02 -0400
>From: Kalman Reti <reti@RIVERSIDE.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
>Subject: Re: Scheme compilers
>To: mikemac@teleport.com
>cc: mark@ziplink.net, reti@ai.mit.edu, lispos@math.gatech.edu

>Compaq has announced continued support for both Alphas and Digital Unix.
>Of course, future history might play out the way you suggest.

  Promises made before mergers should be taken with a very large grain
of salt. Didn't Compaq layoff 15,000 DEC employees?

>We're keeping our eye on Merced.

  If I was running Intel, I'd delay Merced as long as I can. With
almost all of my high end microprocessor competitors kill developement
of their own chips, the longer it takes for Merced to come out, the
more dependant they are on Intel. Just my Machivalian view of the
situation.

>It has been suggested that Linux on the Alpha meets all those
>requirements,  I'm looking into it.

  Linux CLAIMS to run Alpha apps unchanged. I've been curious if
that's true for OpenGenera?

>Also, we've been considering a native compiler for one or more
>architectures.

  I'm glad to hear that Symbolics is investigating alternatives. I'm
still concerned about Symbolics' ability to carry out anything
new. Rumor has it that you're the entire engineering staff these
days.

  Mike McDonald
  mikemac@mikemac.com