Scheme compilers

Rainer Joswig joswig@lavielle.com
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 15:39:27 -0400

At 14:23 Uhr -0400 11.09.1998, Kragen wrote:

>> When do you think SUN will have a 64 Bit OS. Is that already
>> Solaris 2.7? 2.8? This then would be a possible target,
>> assuming that you have customers who want that.
>
>UltraPenguin's been out for a year or two.

On SUNs which are in commercial environments with applications
I'd definitely want to run Solaris.

Interestlingly I have seen very few DEC Alphas in the publishing
business here in Germany. Mostly you see SUNs and a few
IBM RS6000 or SGIs.

Given that currently OpenGenera uses Alpha assembler code,
it is surely better to get a new Alpha in case someone
wants to run Genera and not to wait for a port to SPARC. To drive
the costs down one would want to use cheap standard hardware and
even a free OS like Linux would be o.k, given that OpenGenera
would run on such a combination.

What would interest me, how would such a machine to
run OpenGenera/Linux would look like and what would it
cost. Maybe we should put a list of a typical
and cheap hardware/software combination on a web page.
Still Open Genera will cost *some* money. The price
would be comparable to commercial Lisps from Franz
and Harlequin for Unix boxes.

  If anybody is interested, I may visit Symbolics next week
  and talk to them. In case you have any ideas/suggestions/questions,
  send them to me and I'll try to keep you updated on the results.

Greetings,

Rainer Joswig (currently on holiday at the MIT AI Lab).

Rainer Joswig, Lavielle EDV Systemberatung GmbH & Co, Lotharstrasse 2b, D22041
Hamburg, Tel: +49 40 658088, Fax: +49 40 65808-202,
Email: joswig@lavielle.com , WWW: http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/