Universal Virtual Machines

Michael Korns mkorns@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:06:43 -0700

Ian,

We continue to have strong interest in porting a Java VM and a Squeak VM
into our AgentBase agent oriented database server. As AgentBase V2.0
currently supports multiple VM's, we are deliberating between two choices:
create a UVM and port SmartLisp, Java, and Squeak to the UVM; or port the
server-side portions of the Java and Squeak VM's into the AgentBase
database server.

Presently, we are leaning toward the latter solution. It would appear to
allow us to take advantage of the current Java and Squeak public domain
code development with the least hassle. Do you have any opinions on the
matter that could save us grief later? Anyone else want to champion one or
the other approach?

Ian.Piumarta@inria.fr