compact code representation

Bill House bhouse@dazsi.com
Fri, 2 May 1997 11:22:01 -0700

Sayeth Alaric:

>[snip]
>
>I guess that compression should be chosen by the system invisibly when
>storing stuff locally, with an override to maximum compression when disk
>space gets tight. The automatic compression choice is made for the
>best tradeoff between disk read rate and CPU decompression rate :-)

Actually, we haven't found that it makes sense to spend time deciding -- disk
latency usually means that there's plenty of time to compress-decompress, so
that's what we do. However, we don't stop there: we also use RSA encryption on
all persistent objects. Thus, our ORs are not only compressed, but encrypted as
well. Makes for a pretty secure way to store your code & data.

Bill House
--
http://www.dazsi.com
The views expressed are mine alone,