The VM Goals -Reply

John Wood tenshon@msn.com
Tue, 6 May 97 08:19:41 UT

>> I think the only compelling proposal would be for a
more-abstract-than-Java VM, <<

The VM I have been discussing features configurable parsing which is flexible
enough to directly map JVM bytecode onto the optimisation table - in fact, JVM
bytecode would actually be a set of (contexted) references to the Java
optimisation table (OT).

One more interesting thing I did not mention - if you deliberately reduce an
OT reference ignoring the native implementation, you can then reverse engineer
the resultant code into an OT of a *different* language, and translate one
language to another quite effectively. Of course, if the languages orientated
around two diverse models - then the translation would be ineffective.  It
does help, however, to make the distinctions of one language to another (where
the differences orientate more around symantics than architecture) less of an
issue.

John