Juice [Re: UVM and Microsoft]

Patrick Logan patrickl@servio.gemstone.com
Wed, 21 May 97 08:35 PDT

Mitch Wand had a paper in the first (I think) Lisp and Functional
Programming Conference, ca. 1980. It was about using continuations to
implement pre-emptive threads. (This is all vague recollection.)

In that paper, he goes on to hypothesize about an entire OS built this
way. One of the mechanisms he mentions is using lexical scoping as a
security feature. The idea is an application is compiled within a
top-level environment suitable for its security requirements.

I like the this idea, maybe it has some merit worth bringing in to the
multiple-secure-vm-with-secure-instruction-sets discussion. I haven't
thought about it in any depth whatsoever.

--
Patrick Logan                 mailto:patrickl@gemstone.com
Voice 503-533-3365            Fax   503-629-8556