CLISP works much better than GCL an CMUCL (at least on Ubuntu warty)

Tril tril at tunes.org
Tue Mar 22 10:59:02 PST 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 04:40:38PM +0000, Paul Dufresne wrote:
> So as you see, after all the efforts of trying max with CMUCL, GCL
> and finally with CLISP much more successfully, I still can't play
> you're "wonderfull" adventure game which was exciting me so much!

CLISP is the development environment I use.  I haven't much used any
other lisps.  I think they should work, but the only report I had from
a cmucl user was that they didn't like my use of noweb because it
broke the integrated lisp source editor.

The adventure game is unfinished because it is the demo for Max, and
Max is not developed enough to implement the game yet.

The eval module needs work.  Currently, sources and sinks are
implemented wrong.  The order of mesage sends should be reversed so
that the source calls a method when data is available, then the
evaluator has a cache of all sinks that refer to that source, and
calls each one in turn (or in parallel).

Here is the diagram for the eventual adventure game, with arrows going
from sources to sinks:

Source: keyboard (current state of which keys are held down)

key entry buffer (builds up string of characters until Enter)

        parser (tokenize buffer)

       dictionary lookup on each token

       command interpreter (update game world and display results)

     display status, location, description, exits, items, monsters

     text buffer (rows x cols array of characters)

There is also a second arc from the key entry buffer to the text
buffer (so it can update the appropriate the display while typing) but
that would be hard to draw in e-mail.

Suggestions for a good LISP full-screen text display module would be
appreciated.  I haven't made much time to work on this project lately
but I am glad you looked at it.  Thank you.

- --
Tril 0. Byte <tril at tunes.org> http://tril.tunes.org/
PGP key fingerprint: DADB ED32 6E54 80D0 7E69  7549 C3A3 446F CAA4 66C0
This message is placed in the public domain.