Pthhbbbt.

Dennis Marer dmarer@iws804.intel.com
Thu, 8 Apr 93 10:48:47 PDT

Sorry, the subject should be "Pthbbbt [dpm4]". :-)

Glad to hear you're all still out there - we just got new workstations here at
work (486DX2s) so I wasn't sure if I was receiving outside mail or not.  Whew!

Forgive if I'm in an odd mood today - I've been feeling something is missing
from this project, and I've figured out what it is!

I sat down the other day and tried to figure out why I was working on Moose -
my motivations, and why I want to see it succeed.  I came up with a good long
list for myself...now I'm intersted from you:

1. Why are you working on Moose?  (Be detailed!)

2. What are your intentions?  (Technical knowledge/just for fun/fame/fortune/
	fast women/famous fortunate fast women?)

3. When all is said and done, what do you want to say you have accomplished?

Next, I began thinking about requirements - general things, like "Moose should
be easy to port to other systems".  Or even, "Moose needs to be smaller than
Windows NT".  Of course, some of these will be easy to accomplish... ;-)

What I'm doing is putting together a small document to try and capture the
purpose of our group - the whos, whats, whens, wheres, and whys of our
existence.  I think its something we should have done a long time ago, but
better late than never.  Sure, we've all been working towards a common goal,
but can any of you tell me what that goal is?

On the technical end...

No, I don't think we should be thinking about the Pentium yet - I was just
offering the info if anyone is interested.  One thing we shouldn't ignore when
implementing our system is that there are very few instruction differences
between the 386, 486, and the Pentium processor.  Intstruction *ordering* is
the key in the Pentium, where code can be optimized by rearranging the
order instructions are executed.  Simple instructions can operate in parallel
with each other, complex instructions cannot - in many cases, execution time
can be cut nearly in half!

Just a guess: The P6 will do instruction ordering optimization on the fly. :-)

				Dennis