What are the goal of MOOSE

Sun, 14 Feb 93 17:51:30 MET

Hello again, dear friends; here is my public answer to Andreas' call.

>> One thing that is clear like norwegian mountain rivers are, we don't know
>> what we are doing, do we.
>>
>> Everybody says, let's give her a name, then everybody says, let's not. We
>> must define what features this babe shall have. And they are right. Name
>> doesn't matter, not yet anyway.
>> Then everybody says, it should have this feature and it should have that,
>> and then I don't agree with you about that, or I do. Maybe, maybe not.
>> Maybe she'll never be born in other places than in our own imagination, and
>> that is possible where it should end, I don't know?v
>> Do you wan't to give birth to this child? Are you sure she won't become a
>> bastard,... and then an orphan......
>> Let's not, I repeat, let's not let this happen, so maybe it's time to tell you
>> why, and what, if you haven't thought of it by yourself yet.
>> One part is missing, and do you, do all of us, do we all know what? Maybe.
>> Should this child be a UN*X like piece of work, considering the way it should
>> work? Or an OS/2, or a Mac? Get my point? What is the goal?????
>> What is the meaning to give birth to a child if we don't know the
>> meaning of life?
>>

>> We must define a usergroup. Who do we want to use this OS. Should it be
>> targeted UNIX gurus, or PC fans, or Mac fans, or Atari fans (not the 8bit
>> Dennis, the 16 bit version :-), I actually had one of thoose 8 bit myself,
>> a wonderful machine, don't you think so? :-)
>>
>> Let's face the facts, as looked upon through my eyes.
>> We are developing for the PC based market, aren't we. We are talking Mac,
>> PC, Amiga, we are talking 68020, 030 and 80386. The 80386 is commonly
>> equiped with an isa/eisa bus. Ide hard disk controller, svga card and mouse.
>> What do we know of the common PC users of today?
>> They sit with the mouse in the right hand pointing and clicking. Staring at
>> those awful windows. There are some exceptions, us - the programmers.
>> We like to have the power in the keyboard, not in the mouse, when we work.
>> And in that way, we are quite unique in the way we are using computers.
>> Most people use computers because they want something done, not because
>> computers are, as we do :-)
>> See my point. Are we going to build an OS that looks like UglyBuggly MS-DOS,
>> or as terrible, and half as powerful, as unix. Who are we targetin' at?
>> Is this OS only for programmers.
>> I say, let us _try_ to save the world from the powerful and bad and ugly
>> Gates Ghost.
>> Let's face it, 90 percent of us might want a text ui, because it is faster
>> (and better in all ways), but 90 percent of the computerusers in the world
>> don't want a text ui, _if_ it makes the computer more difficult to
>> communicate with.
>> Do you see my point, let's not discuss names and features now. We have
>> many different views, and since nobody pays us, we can use our mind freely.
>> Let's find out who is going to use our child.

> [...]
 I think you hit the spot; I can't agree more than I do with you.
Everyone of us has his own ideas about the OS. I think we all want something
truely new, and each wants to add the features he most missed in the OSes
he used. We should try to understand each other's viewpoint, but also the needs
of everyday simple users (not system programmers). To achieve mutual
understanding (we must be sure we're on for one and only one OS), perhaps each
of us should mail his wishes to the group; we shall try to have coordinators
for subjects (to update a global list of agreements and disagreements, problems
asked and solutions found about his particular topic); but at this level, all
subjects are heavily interlinked, so that solutions to problems in different
part of the OS may not be independent each from the other (then coordinators
must coordinate). Each file should be available by ftp or e-mail in
their entire latest version, or diffs with respect to the month's reference
version (is there someone in the group able to implement this ?)
 I'm myself ready to collect suggestions about the object implementation; or to
send them to the one who'll take the job.

	     ,
	  Fare