MOOSE details!

Dr. Hayden haydedr@WKUVX1.BITNET
Sun, 14 Feb 1993 22:40:13 CST

Yo!

Well all, I don't know about all you, but I'm ready to get started on
some concrete design work (admittedly my desire to get right into
coding has proved detrimental to me on previous large-scale projetcts,
so please tell me if I'm jumping too far ahead, or too far back :-).

So, here's my best and most current "definition" of Moose:

"Moose will be a fully interrupt driven, preemptive, priority-based
multithreaded system."

Now I know this is a very broad definition, and it missed a lot (such
as networking support).  But does it sound good?  Is it going to be
preemptive?  Will it be multi-threaded?

I've also kind of worked out some pseudo code like scribblings of the
path through the scheduler.  I've tried to give precise definitions to
my terms such as "session," "process," and "thread," etc.  I've
labeled where exactly a context switch can occur, etc.  And I've
already posted my ideas on priority classes.

So what do you all think?  Should I type in all my scribblings and
send them out, or is it still way too early for that stuff?  And is
the kernel the first thing we should design?  I have my ideas, as we
all do, so I vote we start doing some down-to-earth design work.

So far I've come up with this:
The kernel should be coded in C/asm.
As much of the system from there should be object based (C++ my vote).
It will supply a GUI and command-line shells.
We will read DOS FAT file systems.

Is this complete?  Is anything incorrect?  I think we should begin to
focus and get things like these out in the open, and slowly begin to
narrow down and better define our OS.

Thanks all,
Ross Hayden
haydedr@wkuvx1.bitnet