MOOSE

Michael David WINIKOFF winikoff@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon, 15 Feb 93 16:57:02 EST

> Flower"?  A name is just something to focus upon. That and the fact
> that I really don't like "MOOSE". :-)

Why? It's memorable. It's humourous. What else do you want?
A horrible acronym  that was obviously put together? :-)

>    Yeah, sounds pretty standard. However, if somehow we manage to get
> people to like our system, we will probably want to be able to port
> it to some of the more powerful systems.

Yes.

> =>Is this OS only for programmers.
>
>    The OS should always be for the programmers; the user interface
> should be for the users.

Yes and no. The details of the system calls are irrelevant to the user.
The fact that the OS provides (Eg.) multitasking is VERY relevant to the
user.

In other words the conceptual model and services provided are relevant.

>    David vs. Goliath? :-)

Uhh, more like a lone pilot in a X-wing vs. the death star.
[How many billions is microsoft worth these days?]

>    My point would be that people don't use an OS, they use applications.
> Even if we write the perfect OS, no one is going to use it if there are
> no applications available for it. If wide acceptance is going to be a
> primary goal, then we are going to need an application programming
> group once we start getting close to release.

Yes and no. If it is very easy to develop applications for the system then
you'll have a lot more applications (hopefuly shareware/PD) being developed
by people non-professionaly.

This is obviously influenced by how common the OS is.

I do agree though that we need a starting base set of aplications.

> =>I vote for making this program understandable for 99 percent of the 386
> =>computerusers, not 5 percent of them.
>
>    I hope you mean the interface, and not the code. :-)

I vote for making the OS INTERFACE understandable to 99% of programers.

Michael Winikoff
winikoff@cs.mu.oz.au
Computer science honours. University of Melbourne, Australia.