MUSIC revision -INFINITY

Gary D. Duzan duzan@udel.edu
Tue, 16 Feb 93 07:21:23 -0500

=>
=>Welcome to:
=>
=>		MUSIC - MOOSE USer InterfaCe
=>
=>What follows is a set of general guidelines for building the user
=>interface.  Feel free to flame me if I left out something
=>important (because I did).  This was written to help move this
=>group along in writing specifications documents.

   This is roughly the same vision of a GUI that I had in mind. Now,
assuming this basic GUI structure, what OS facilities do we need to
support it? We will need some method of communication between the
program object and the window object. Since window access is
restricted, we will need some method of authorization (authentication?)
in order to enforce the proper restrictions.
   We should not put the cart before the horse. An OS is not a GUI
(unless, of course, you take the Microsoft view.) Instead, let's keep
in mind that our horse is going to have to pull a cart, and spec out
the horse accordingly. Also, if we stick to the minimal kernel, object-
oriented idea, I should be able to ride the horse without having to
pull a cart behind me. A cart is no good without a horse (unless you
want to pull it yourself.) I'd extend the metaphor further, but that
would just be beating a dead horse. :-)
   I'm not sure that JJ's message went to the whole list, so I've
expanded the CC: field. If you got the reply and not the original, I
can send you a copy, if you like.

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration
                         Humble Practitioner of the Computer Arts