Just can't get enough of that Moose!

Gary D. Duzan duzan@udel.edu
Tue, 23 Feb 93 18:36:24 -0500

=>                                        Can anybody think of a reason a norma
=>application might require a portion of its memory to be physical?   Is there
=>any application which just plain wouldn't work if it couldn't respond to some
=>event fast enough?
=>
   The whole class of real-time applications would need to be
restricted to physical memory. We may want to allow for a system with
no pager (i.e. restricted to virtually mapped physical memory) to cover
this need.

=>I'll volunteer to start to work on that glossary - it sortof goes hand in han
=>with the specs.  Can anyone give me the precise definition of a thread?  My
=>OS book doesn't really define it well...thanx!
=>
   Threads (i.e. lightweight processes) are basically subprocesses
sharing code and data space. There is a wide variety of features that
threads packages implement, and a large number of packages. Ones that
pop to mind are Mach's C-Threads, Posix threads, Sun's LWP library
(ugh), and Amoeba's threads. They are generally used to express logical
parallelism within the larger process (task, object.)

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration
                         Humble Practitioner of the Computer Arts