Moose: A Short Question

Peter Mueller mueller@sc.ZIB-Berlin.DE
Wed, 24 Feb 93 13:22:53 +0100

Hello Moosers!

I think, I'm currently the only one who is not able to
give 150 % of his time for the project. So I get bombed
with your mails. Thanks folks, it was a great
literature!

What I've recognized so far are several ideas, thoughts,
and hick-hacks about so many things. There are talks about
which graphic card to use or which language is the best or
how to develop a nice GUI or TUI. Sorry, I feel we should
concentrate more on general design decisions. How can you
design a GUI when you're not knowing the basics? (I know you
will flame me for that ;-)

I've expected more discussion about the kernel. How should
process execution and interprocess communication (what about
[remote] object invocation?) be implemented? How is it possible
to make the kernel as small and "featherweight" as possible?
What about deviding the kernel into a second part: A Nucleus
which only implements process execution and powerful and efficient
interprocess communication (which should be in fact be treated as
a message to an object). Then there is the kernel, providing
additional functionality as Memory Management. Why should all
such memory stuff like virtual, shared, etc. be implemented within
the nucleus or even the kernel? What about a user who doesn't need
virtual memory, because his/her applications are small? Must he/she
live with a performance lack, because the system runs all through
the virtual memory manager's code?

What about the interface TO the kernel? How should this be
designed? How do you want to contact remote objects? One solution
is to provide name server objects, which can be connected
hierarchical. What about object migration? Message passing?

Well, sorry that I wrote this damping mail. And please, I don't
want to kill your euphoria. Keep the discussion running and let me
hear your thoughts.

Thanks for your time,

Peter