Booting the compiler

Andreas Arff ANDREASA@dhhalden.no
5 Jul 93 11:29:19 +0100

> So I'll need 386 Protected Mode & Hardware support for next
> bootstrapping step. I've written some stupid GetMem&Go_PM
> code in assembly. Sorry comments are in french. I'll
> translate in some future version. Can anyone send a more
> complete routine ? Has anyone programmed hardware managing
> stuff for the 386 (i.e. Descriptor tables initializers,
> 8259 and other chips initializers, interrupt drivers) ?

Ask Dennis, he has got some code lying around for tasm 1.0. At least he has
tryed doing some GDT's and IDT's, and also (I think) some chip initialization.

I'm very happy to see that this group isn't dead, and that my supervisor
hasn't deleted my account yet. As I think I have mentioned before, you can
reach me at andreasa@fenris.dhhalden.no. You won't here much from me, but
I think I could threw in some comments.

I agree with Gary; we shouldn't start coding yet -  not final version anyway.
It is good making test-programs to try things out. I also agree that we
could start making the template of this thing. Going into a more specific
design part, but first of all, everybody should send mails to Dennis and
ask for the draft. He is said to be almost finished with it now; he only
lacks class definitions:-). As I have understood it, he has done *alot* on the
starting doc. already. There "only" remains ratification for it, which could
take a while:-).

You can also reach Dennis per phone; +1-408-356-7588, and don't forget there
might be a time difference:-)

Have a nice summer.

Arff
sig.'s in for 1000 miles service