memory, video, and a few thoughts

David Garfield david@davgar
Mon, 01 Mar 1993 01:22:17 EST

I would like to apologize for not contributing much to date, but I
have been busy trying to set up my new USENET site, and have
fallen a bit behind....

I am now at     david%davgar@uunet.uu.net
instead of      garfield@snoopy.sra.com
I do not yet have a domain name, but I am looking in to it.

---------------

 From: "Gary D. Duzan" <duzan@udel.edu>
> =>> >      The starting address of the memory block will be returned by
> =>> > this function.  If the allocation fails a null address is returned,
> =>> > indicated by an address of zero.
> =>>
> =>> Firstly there is scope for a bug here -- consider what
> =>> happens if the system allocates a task memory beginning at
> =>> (virtual) memory location 0 ...
>    Simple enough to fix: just don't do that. :-)

I will again say: You can't allocate memory (address space)
because it already exists!  It is just invalid.  Memory
allocation is the process of changing invalid memory into valid
memory.  All that should be returned is the error code.
Additionally, address zero (and the nearby low addresses) should
be reserved as invalid addresses, so chasing NULL causes an
immeadiate error.  (One of VMS's best desicisions, pity we can't
also make hex 00 an invalid instruction...)

> =>> (2) We need to have a configuration facility to make
> installation of new
> =>>     software/devices/hardware totally painless.
>
>    This is an impossible goal on the ISA architecture. :-(

This is not impossible, and is in fact a VERY good idea.  MOOSE
should have a facility to install any and all additional software
components.  Then any new software being installed can use this
to install itself.  This will avoid the major MSDOS problem that
every piece of software (except the newest Windoze stuff) has a
different installation procedure.