Object Sharing via File System (djg3)

Gary D. Duzan duzan@udel.edu
Mon, 08 Mar 93 07:22:27 -0500

=>A possible means of making data objects available to other processes:
=>
=>It is possible for
=>
=>   1) All processes to be objects.
=>
=>   2) Objects to be in the logical file system.
=>
=>   3) Objects themselves be asked what objects are below them in the
=>      file system.

   This is basically the idea of a naming service object as expressed
in my brief discussion of capabilities. I'd suggest picking up a copy
of the Amoeba papers; they have already dealt with all of this. You can
get the compressed PostScript files via anonymous FTP in
ftp.cs.vu.nl:amoeba/papers. They put more emphasis on the remote case,
which isn't as relevant to our project, but they generally have some
good ideas.

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration
                         Humble Practitioner of the Computer Arts