Mach 3.0

Dennis Marer dmarer@td2cad.intel.com
Fri, 19 Mar 93 09:22:10 PDT

Howdy Moosers!

	I've been hearing things lately about a kernel called Mach 3.0, so I
thought I'd do some research and see what it's about.  I've just FTPed some of
the docs, but haven't had a chance to read them.  Thought y'all might want to
take a look as well!  Just trying to get some more info on kernels.

				Dennis

Thank you for your interest in Mach.

Before you can receive the i386/i486 release of Mach 3, we suggest
you first obtain Mach 2.5.  There are tools in 2.5 needed to build
3.0.

Please read over the following information.  PLEASE NOTE: It is
important to FTP and read the installation notes as advised.  After
reading over the information, please contact me if you would like
to obtain the release.

Lori Iannamico
Mach Distribution Coordinator
lli+@cs.cmu.edu

   ANNOUNCING THE DISTRIBUTION OF MACH 2.5/3.0 FOR THE INTEL 80386/80486

  We  have a 80386/80486 version of Mach 2.5/3.0 that runs on a number of AT
clones; Mach is being used at CMU on the following machines:  Olivetti M380,
Toshiba  T5200, IBM-LP40SX, Dell 316,320 (i386SX chip), HP Vectra RS 25C,
Intel 301, Intel 302, and Intel 401.

  To  get the Mach 2.5/3.0 for the Intel 80386 you need sign an agreement
stating that you will be bound by the terms of the Mach 2.5 license which in
turn requires source licenses for 4.3BSD and AT&T V3.2. CMU's licenses are
such that we can only distribute code only to holders of compatible source
licenses.

  We have limited resources for making the  system  more  widely  available  at
present, but are willing to take on more sites.  To simplify our lives, we
are only making this distribution to sites that can access  the  internet  with
tcp/ip.  Mt Xinu has source or binary-only tape distributions available. They
can be reached at mtxinu-mach@mtxinu.com or (415) 644-0146.

We only support machines with:
   - Either an i386 or i486 processor
   - at least 5 Meg of memory.  We typically use 8Meg - 16Meg.
   - an AT/ISA compatible bus.
   - an approved disk controller: (You should get at least 100Meg of disk.
     We typically use 300Meg drives.)
        * WD 1007 compatible disk controllers.
        * IDE disks (these are WD 1007 compatible).
        * Adaptec 1542B compatible SCSI controller.
        * ST506 controller [Note: they are awfully slow.]
   - a displays:
        * simple displays in 25 x 80 character mode.
        * B&W X11R5 for VGA at 640x480 resolution from Thomas Roell.
        * Color X11R5 for SVGA from Thomas Roell.
   - high density 3 1/2" and/or 5 1/4" floppies  at  1.44Meg  and  1.2Meg,
     respectively.

  We support but do not require:
   - Intel 80387 hardware floating point. (recommended)
   - The built-in serial line: COMi
   - The built-in parallel port: LPTi
   - ethernet controller boards:
        * 3COM's  EtherLink  I  and EtherLink II (sometimes known as 3c501
          and 3c503),
        * Western Digital's WD8003E and WD8013E ethernet boards.
        * SMC's WD8003E Elite and WD8013E  Elite  ethernet  boards(Western
          Digital  sold  its  WD8003 ethernet product to SMC shortly after
          reengineering the board.  This board is called the WD8003 Elite.
          A recently sampled board seems to work fine, but there have been
          problems with some early units.  (They would  stop  transmitting
          after a while.))
        * Intel's iMX586 or PC586/ENET586 ethernet board (Now obsolete)
   - Wangtek 1/4" standard 3M streamer.

  WE DO NOT SUPPORT:
   - The microchannel bus: IBM PS 2/70 and PS 2/80 and some NCR machines
   - NFS (Is available only to holders of NFS Educational Institution License)

  NOTE: While Mach does not require an ethernet board for normal operation, our
method of installation assumes that you can get  the  files  from  CMU  to  the
target machine over the internet.

  If your site meets our licensing and hardware requirements,  you  should  ftp
the  Mach  2.5/3.0  I386  installation  manual.  You  may  acquire the manual
via anonymous ftp at mach.cs.cmu.edu; it is stored as:
   - /usr/mach/public/doc/unpublished/i386_install.{ps,doc}
   - /usr/mach/public/doc/unpublished/i386_manpages.{ps,doc}

To ftp from CMU:  Ftp to mach.cs.cmu.edu (128.2.209.192),
as "anonymous", at the password prompt send your Username@site
Then "cd /usr/mach/public/doc".
You can then use the standard ftp commands, e.g. get, ls with relative
path names for the files. The articles are available in postscript(.ps)
and ascii(.doc).  There is an INDEX file available in that directory.

  After reading the manual, if you would like to install Mach 2.5 I386,  please
contact us for more information either at:
mach@cs.cmu.edu
mach is read by the Project Manager and the Distribution Coordinator.  or at:
Mach Project
c/o Brian Bershad
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University