Two Kernels: Sync/Async [pem01]

Gary D. Duzan duzan@udel.edu
Mon, 24 May 93 10:21:22 -0400

In Message <9305241325.17829@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU> ,
   Michael David WINIKOFF <winikoff@mulga.cs.mu.oz.au> wrote:

=> Peter Wrote:
=>
=>> I do agree that it is possible to simulate each IPC
=>> form with the other, though I believe simulating sync
=>> IPC out of async IPC is like using a steam hammer to
=>> crack a nut ... but that's IMHO ... ;-)
=>
=>Yes, however trying to simulate async using sync is much much worse
=>(you resort to having either
=>	(a) ugly hacks in the kernel

   Nothing we do should be ugly. Convoluted, perhaps, but not ugly.
:-)

=>	(b) Extra processes floating around who's sole task is to merge
=>		event streams

   I had foreseen the need for such a beast, and I think that a
system with a light enough thread can handle it without too much
pain. I could, of course, be wrong, but I think it would be worth
the attempt to gain a more object-oriented structure.

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration
                         Humble Practitioner of the Computer Arts