OS-Help digest, Vol 1 #3 - 2 msgs

Rahul Subramaniam u2000138@cs.unipune.ernet.in
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:31:49 +0530

> Hi

This is what I know abou the boot up sequence, and I could be wrong....so please, someone tell me.

Let us assume that you are booting from a floppy on a standard Intel machine.

    1. The bios (on starting the machine) copies the first 512 bytes on the floppy
          (track 0 sector 0) from memory location  0x7c00 onwards.....and then moves
          the instruction pointer (IP) to this location. From now onwards, it is the
          completely up to your code to do what ever it wants to do.

    where does the OS fit in?

    All practical kernels are more than 512 bytes in size. So, these 512 bytes are
     chosen very very carefully. This first 512 bytes is usually the code for the
     boot strap loader which is responsible for loading the rest of the kernel to
    the memory.

    I have got stuck with the following problem.

    I haven't managed to write a smiple 512 byte assembly code to just print some
    characters on the screen. If anyone has a solution, please mail me. the system
    simply stalls every time I try.

Regards

Rahul Subramaniam