Smalltalk Solutions presentation

Brian T Rice water at tunes.org
Fri Jul 18 12:11:21 PDT 2003

Hey all,

I was in Toronto the last week, meeting with fellow Smalltalk users and
discussing Slate and different possibilities for collaborating. I gave a
talk with slides and demonstrations, and the response was very positive.

I posted the slides to http://slate.tunes.org/sts/sts.html . It's a bare
overview, mostly explaining the motivations and large-scale differences. I
often went into many more details verbally and via demonstration, though.

One thing to mention is that a few people there have projects worth
collaborating with. There's MicroLingua, a tiny Smalltalk dialect, and
AOStA, an adaptive optimizing Smalltalk compiler, which we will likely be
trading ideas with and having discussions with the authors about. So
hopefully this should speed some things up. Also, some less-publicized
Squeak projects have some potential for us to feed back into them.

About the 0.1 release:

I have some issues to work out before we release ECL-based binaries,
though. In particular, someone who is OS X or Cygwin-savvy, or has another
way of producing binaries, could help out by producing binaries and
letting us know what bugs exist and why, and what build script expressions
work.

I'll post a news item to the main site page momentarily.

Thanks!