Musing on PMD dispatch problems

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Jun 3 16:25:36 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 03 June 2003 10:50, Lee Salzman wrote:
> 2)
>    This is the more interesting thought that occurred to me, and the
> reason I felt compelled to write a long drawn out post. Quite simply,
> scan down the columns first instead of rows! This yields the exact
> same method ordering as the first solution, but it will actually make
> the PMD algorithm SIMPLER. For multiple dispatch cases this could
> possibly make PMD slower, but for single dispatch cases, it can
> actually make PMD faster since it will actually do no more work than
> single dispatch! As soon as you would see a method in the first
> column, you would simply dispatch it - no different than what single
> dispatch itself does.

Ok, so now a single dispatch method would override a multiple dispatch
one higher up: z at A foo: w  would be chosen over z@(A parent) foo: w at B
even when w is a B.

Was this also the case in the current algorithm?

I wonder if the "parent flattening" I do in my current Self/Smalltalk
implementation would work here as well...

-- Jecel