Upcoming 0.2 release

Brian T Rice water at tunes.org
Tue Nov 25 19:14:39 PST 2003

Subjective Slate Notes:

I've updated the online manual to include a pretty good explanation of
subjective dispatch and how it is done in Slate:
http://slate.tunes.org/progman/node8.html#SECTION00033500000000000000

I /believe/ it's a good explanation; I tried to distill all the ideas and
debates down to the important points, but I haven't gotten into /why/ we
want this or what ideas we want to explore with it. Still, I'm looking for
feedback:

Which parts don't seem clear?

Do the names and protocols make sense? What would?

Are there obvious questions that it doesn't answer?

What would you try to use this mechanism for?

I guess I should mention that there is some structure to Subject and Layer
objects which I didn't explain there, mostly because I haven't worked out
the full implications of the code yet.

Also, new CVS Slate contains this feature, but not by default. You have to
build Slate with #+subjective-slate and #+layered-slate. There are lines
in build.lisp which will enable this. Or, if you don't use the build
script, loading subjective.lisp will do this for you before loading the
main slate.lisp.