0.3 enters alpha phase

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Tue Apr 27 20:34:28 PDT 2004

Hi all,

This is just a kind of sneak preview of the 0.3 release; I've uploaded
the bootstrap generated files for little-endian systems to:

http://slate.tunes.org/downloads/alpha/

There's a vm.c and vm.h which are platform-independent, and a
slate.image which is basically the kernel image with a REPL. We don't
have endianness-swapping built into the vm yet, so a different image is
needed for big-endian systems; use the slate.image.be.

Anyway, grab all the files and put them in some local directory, and
issue "make vm" to build a vm named "slate", then run "./slate
slate.image" to execute.

There's no file or socket support yet, and the image takes a while to
get to the REPL point because it essentially has to initialize a lot of
things that make it easier to generate the image in the first place.

If you want to generate your own image, you basically have to generate
a VM first and then use the state built up from that process to build
an image based on it. So it's:

Slate> Compiler generateVM: 'vmsourcename'.

(once the mobius, c, vm libraries are loaded), and then

Slate> Compiler buildImage: 'imageName' &littleEndian: (True/False).

The current tarball in the usual place is up-to-date to perform this.
Anyway, give it a good beating, and report those bugs!