free VC++ and should inline in vm.h be INLINE ?

Paul Dufresne dufrp at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 2 14:08:26 PDT 2004

Well, since LCC-Win32 was giving me redeclarations errors when I try to
enable
optimizations, I then decided to search for an other free C compiler I could
use.
(I did not wanted full Cygwin).

On the following page:
http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/cpp.shtml I found Microsoft Visual
C++ Toolkit 2003.

This can be taken directly from:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

>From the FAQ on this page:
What is the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003?
The Visual C++ Toolkit is a free edition of Microsoft’s professional Visual
C++ optimizing compiler and standard libraries--the same optimizing compiler
and standard libraries that ship in Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional!

But this is a bit big (31Mb) since it will install .NET framework if you
don't have it yet.
Ok, enough publicity.

I had A LOT of errors anyway, until I edited env.h to add a line:
#if defined(_MSC_VER)
  #define INLINE _inline
  #define inline _inline    <-- This is the line I added
#else
  #define INLINE inline
#endif

After that, only 2 warning about conversion.
I guess this is because vm.h generate inline rather than INLINE.

I use the new August 1, 23h22 slate-current.tar.gz file.
More or less, what I have done is to copy alpha/vm.c and alpha/vm.h to
C:\slate\src\mobius\vm\platform, cd there, and did:
cl vm.c boot.c file.c
in fact I did cl /Ot /G6 vm.c boot.c file.c
where /Ot is favor time over space, and /G6 optimize for my PII processor.
And this seems to work, I am waiting for load: 'bootstrap/mobius/init.slate'
to finish (doubt
I will try to continue after that, because I use a 333MHz computer).

But /O2 (maximize speed) was causing unknown condition before slate prompt.

--Paul

Partagez une seule photo ou un diaporama complet dans MSN Messenger.
http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=fr-ca&page=features/messenger Commencez dès
maintenant à profiter de tous les avantages de MSN Premium et obtenez les
deux premiers mois GRATUITS*.